9.03.2004

twister.

texas, summer of 1965.

The neighbors told us to open up all the windows -- that is what you do when there is a tornado warning. I watched from just inside the sill, my mother just behind me. The wind swept up and the rain came in and I imagined toto in my arms though we never had a dog. There it was... a skinny long dark grey column like a dreadlock, sweeping back and forth up the road in front of our house. Hardly threatening, but trying its very best to look ominous. Poor thing was just a cute little wind funnel picking up weeds along the way.

The next morning was Saturday. The wind and rain were gone - the sun was bright and high and I was playing at my friend Michael's house up the block. He had a pretty mom with shining golden hair and a brand new Creepy Crawlers set to play with. But that day he wanted to play catch out in front of the house -- this was his name for playing dodge ball with the passing cars. One pulled up to the house. It was a dark car -- dark grey like a twister. A man got out in a uniform with a bag in his hand which he immediately dropped on the sidewalk as my friend Michael ran up into his arms for a huge hug. His mother flew out the front door and joined him. The three walked back up to the house holding each other. Nobody looked back to me -- they knew I had only a few houses to go and I'd be home.

Michael's dad was home from Vietnam.

It didn't always work out that way.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home