8.27.2004

pattern baldness.

so, I'm walking down 32nd street between 5th and 6th avenues during rush hour yesterday. Having paid little attention to the threats of NYC emptying out completely of all local residents during the Republican Convention, the street does strike me of having an unusually large amount of open space - something of a pattern baldness. Usually on this particular block [known as little Korea] I have to elbow my way through desperately trying not to drop kick the random old Korean lady with 12 bags of groceries as I go. They're short, I'm not, my visual horizon line is far above their heads, but not beyond hearing the screeching of expletives as I accidentally cream a bag of bok choy with my gallianos. So this being what I assumed was still a somewhat normal day, I was quite surprised to have a clear red carpet of walking space, as well as a seat on the usually crowded B train.

then it hit me. I heard random conversation on the train -- thick southern accents, midwestern twangs, new england lockjaws -- and as I looked up from my game of mineshaft -- khakis. levis. pappagallos. lacoste. docksiders. brooks brothers. lands end. navy blue as far as the eye could see. Clearly by remaining in NYC I have gone on an accidental vacation to connecticut during the golf season.

Should be a great time to get a reservation at Nobu....